For many generations, wet hair look has been a typical hairstyle. However, this well-known red-carpet look is back in the limelight because of celebrities like Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian, and Miley Cyrus. As a result, many people are now following in their footsteps and trying the wet hair look.
The wet hair look is one of the easiest hairstyles which can be worn with little effort. However, it can be tough to find the correct products to get that perfect wet hair look. This article will guide you to achieve this hairstyle and discuss the products you may use. Keep reading to know more.
What You Will Need
The secret to the wet hair look is the layering of styling products. However, don’t go overboard with layering too many hair products will cause build-up. And excessive use of hair care products may also lead to allergic contact dermatitis or scalp irritant contact dermatitis (1).
Find a mix of styling products to build up moisture in the hair that stays throughout the day. To achieve the wet hair look, you will need many styling products along with a few hair tools.
- Wide-Toothed Comb: A wide-toothed comb will help you part and spread products evenly through your entire hair.
- Hair Gel: Hair gel is the main product for a sleek wet hair look. It also provides long-lasting hold to your hair and gives it definition. If you are going for a wet hair look, it is best to choose an organic hair gel that contains natural ingredients.
- Hair Cream: Hair creams are great products that provide a smooth and natural shine to your hair. Hair creams also help to prevent split ends (also called trichoptilosis). Hair cream is great for people with dry, wavy, and curly hair.
- Hair Gloss Spray: Gloss spray is a mist product that will help keep your wet hair look shiny and in place.
- Hairspray: Hairspray is great to keep your wet hair in place for a really long time.
Now, let’s take a look at the steps to achieve the wet hair look.
How To Get The Wet Hair Look
1. Wash And Towel-Dry Your Hair
The first step to achieve the wet hair look is to wash your hair. Towel dry your hair before using any hair products. This is because the best way to get a wet-looking hair texture is to lock down the hair when it’s half-dried.
As sopping wet hair won’t absorb any of the hair products to achieve that wet hair look, it’s better to towel dry the hair before using these products.
A towel is great for people with straight hair. However, if you have wavy, curly, or coily hair, it is best to use a T-shirt to dry your hair. Using a T-shirt will prevent frizz in your hair.
2. Applying A Hair Gel-Cream Mixture
Hair gel is great for adding hold to your hair, while a hair cream adds volume and moisture. When you use these two products together, they help keep your hairstyle in place. The two products combined also help in making it look touch ably soft and shiny.
Take a quarter-size amount of each product in the palm of your hand and mix them together for your wet hair look.
The method of applying these products varies according to your hair length.
- For Short Hair: Apply the gel-cream mix from roots to tips. This method will help keep your hair smoothed down against your scalp.
- For Medium To Long Hair: Apply the gel-cream mixture from the roots to the mid-length of your hair. This helps mimic how your hair dries naturally after a wash.
- For Fine To Straight Hair: Use less cream-gel mix. This will help maintain the volume, mainly near the root area.
- For Curly To Coily Hair: Use more gel-cream mix than normal. This will help in maintaining the movement of your hair and moisturizing it while avoiding that crunchy look.
3. Add Shine
To achieve an extra slicked-back look, you can use a fine-toothed comb. This will help in smoothening down baby hairs (if you have any) and your roots.
A wide-toothed comb will help you achieve a natural and beachy look. Such a type of comb will pull your hair away from your face and also help in defining wavy hair.
Once the gel-cream mixture sets on your hair, you can spritz on a hair gloss spray all over your hair. This will help in adding more shine to your hair and make it look wetter.
Layering your hair with gel, cream, and gloss helps in making your hair look damp and wet. To make it look even wetter, you can apply hairspray before all the previous products dry completely.
There you have it – a few simple steps to achieve a timeless and classic look. We hope that this article has helped you in understanding how to get that wet hair look. Rock this effortless look at your next party!
- The wet hair look is a sultry look that many celebrities rock on the red carpet.
- All you need is a wide-toothed comb, hair gel, hair cream, hair gloss spray, and hair spray to achieve this look.
- You can slick back your “wet” hair or sweep it to one side to amp up your look.
- Avoid using excessive hair products to avoid an irritated scalp.
The wet hair look is here to stay, and for a good reason too! So, if you want to style your hair in this look to steal the show, roll up your sleeves and follow the above tips and tricks. We hope this article inspired you to get that perfect wet hair look. It is an easy trick; just make sure you have all the right tools to achieve your desired look. And do not forget to apply the hairspray at the right time. Now, get ready to grab your shine!
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Contact Dermatitis Associated With Hair Care Products: A Retrospective Analysis of the North American Contact Dermatitis Group Data 2001-2016